Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tutorial: Web Development on Mac OS X With MAMP and Mambo
sactown
Unregistered

I'm a total newbie and it worked great! Excellent instructions.

Now to learn Mambo... :gasp:
2005.07.21 12:23 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Carlos Camacho Offline
iDevApps Legend

Best of luck with Mambo. If you have basic questions, you can ask in this message board.

Carlos A. Camacho, Super Mod
2005.07.21 08:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sciman
Unregistered

Really nice clear tutorial, and it helped me get a test server running on my Mac. My goal is to be able to develop and edit templates for Mambo on this server. Though I know Dreamweaver MX 2004 a bit, I've never worked with DW on a php site. I'm not sure how configure the site either locally or at my http://www.chapalaliving.net/mambo. For now though, I'd be happy to just be able to edit existing templates.

Unfortunately, if I aim Dreamweaver at an index.php file (maybe that's not what I should be doing?) within a template director inside the Mambo under MAMP, I get a warning that I don't have permissions to access the file. I suppose that's because the server is running, and I suspect that it'd have to be in order for me to test/view the page?

I'm confused. Is my situation (me!) hopeless? ;-)

CAre.. Steve
2005.07.24 10:30 PM
Carlos Camacho Offline
iDevApps Legend

Steve, there is a plugin for Dreamweaver that allows you to work on templates for Mambo. I would search Mamboportal.com or Mamboserver.com for that plugin to make your life easier.

2005.08.02 02:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jason_a_w
Unregistered

Hi Carlos

You are a life saver - I was a newbie in no man's land with MAMP only. Thankyou.

One question though - I need to build an online searchable database for my job including addresses. a bibliography and records of journal submissions with attached documents - do you know of any good templates or good places to look?
2005.10.27 10:52 AM
Carlos Camacho Offline
iDevApps Legend

When you say templates, what exactly do you mean?

The functions you listed might be best served from a PIM-like app rather than a CMS, like Mambo, which btw everyone, is now called Joomla (actually the devs that left Mambo now call their version that.)

For PIM-like apps or project management-like apps, you might want to look at the demos at opensourcecms.com.

Cheers,

2005.11.01 10:50 AM
Carlos Camacho Offline
iDevApps Legend

Since MAMP's development is going at a snails pace, I installed XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) a (free) product much like MAMP, but available for several platforms and having a much longer feature list. Once I know enough, I'll post a new how-to for XAMPP and another CMS or blog software.

Cheers,

2005.11.21 10:22 AM
ruspast
Unregistered

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I would like to integrate Mambo with Freeway 4. I will do the design part in Freeway and would like the client to add/revise the content. I believe that I would have to add php tags (mark-up) into Freeway, but what tags and exactly how, I don't know.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Ruspast
2005.12.02 04:22 AM
Volcanoboy
Unregistered

Hi Carlos,

This is a great tutorial. I've been pulling my hair out in order to get a nice clean install. Thanks!

However, I do have a problem. Installation went smoothly and I run Joomla 1.0.4 perfectly. But it wont accept all templates I try to set as default. It's only showing the top part/header of the site.
I've tried the same templates online and they work fine then...

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jon
2005.12.04 02:22 PM
Carlos Camacho Offline
iDevApps Legend

I would make sure your permissions are correct. Sometimes it seems easy to just DRAG and DROP the files, but you might actually want to use an FTP client to move them in place. You should also be installing them via the admin template manager, which means they should be in ZIP format. The admin template manager will uncompress them correctly.

Other possible things... Some older templates might not work on the latest Mambo/Joomla. Be sure that the zip file doesn't have any invisible file junk (thumb DBs from Windows or DS_Store from Macs)

Make sure that the template doesn't HARD CODE file paths for things like images, css, etc.

I found a few that sometimes do!

Let me know how it goes.

2005.12.06 05:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)