Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sprite Sheet Apps?
Twist Offline

Sprite Sheet Apps?
Looking for a decent app to help with the creation of sprite sheets. The graphic creation is being done in Photoshop, but we are having trouble making sure the sprite frames line up with each other when creating the sheets resulting in the sprites moving a few pixels as we go through the animation sequence. Not sure why we keep having this problem since both myself and my partner are very seasoned with graphic design, but we don't have much animation experience and this is the first time we have used sprite sheets.

The graphics are being done on Macs, but sadly the game is being developed on and for other platforms so our process of making the sprite sheets, rebooting into Windows, then testing the sheets and guesstimating how much the frames are off, then rebooting to Mac OS X, tweaking the sprite sheets, going back to Windows, and on and on is getting a bit annoying and my development machine isn't powerful enough to run VMWare and Photoshop at the same time while actually being usable in either environment (I made the mistake of trying to do both at the same time and just ended up watching the spinning beach ball of death for five minutes until I had to force restarted the computer).

So anyway looking for a Mac app (preferably native but we will settle for java or REALbasic if we have to) that we can copy/paste or export PNG's (with transparencies) from Photoshop into and then use it to create the sprite sheets and preview the animation and then export a PNG (with transparencies).

I have tried Pixen so far, but can't get it to export a sprite sheet. spriteLiner appears to work, but I have no way to preview its output other than by rebooting into Windows and it isn't a very polished app.
2009.07.31 01:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Derek Kuhl Offline
Super Moderator

Sprite Sheet Apps?
The Pixen guys made a sprite editor called RepTile. link

Try that, or...

For general Mac apps, always try looking in The Great Hall of Hyperjeff.
2009.08.02 06:38 AM
Twist Offline

Sprite Sheet Apps?
Thanks but the hall of hyperjeff appears to be down right now. Ended up coming up with some Photoshop actions for creating spritesheets from layer and from a folder of files and then whipped up a simple PHP/DHTML preview script for testing them out. Might share these in the future once we can get them fully tested and know they are relatively bug free.
2009.08.16 06:17 PM
kingdomindustry Offline

Sprite Sheet Apps?
I personally prefer a much less manual operation, and I found this Photoshop script that creates a sprite sheet from a selected folder of images. Just make sure that all of your images are the same size before you run the script. I typically create an action that automates that work, if my images aren't already all uniformly sized.

http://www.kingdomindustry.com/forum_pos...esheet.zip

Best Regards!
Gabe

Kingdom Industry | Tools for the Future.
2010.07.02 06:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)