Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Codewarrior vs. Project Builder....
Nevada
Unregistered

Ok. So I want to learn C++. When I was programming in OS 9, I of course really wanted to get Codewarrior since I really didn't even want to try to mess with MPW. Anyway, now I'm in OS X, I have Project Builder, which I can begin to get a handle on. But now with all the features of PB, is Codewarrior worth it? I should also mention that I will primarily be programming in C++ and not really in Java/JavaScript and all that. Anyway what are the pros and cons of PB and Codewarrior? Then again, XCode will be coming soon....
2003.07.27 07:29 PM
Quote this message in a reply
OneSadCookie Offline
Genius Bar

Xcode is just the new name for Project Builder. It's essentially the same program.

I wouldn't bother with CodeWarrior. Basically all it gives you is the ability to compile programs that can run on Mac OS 9, plus heaps of bugs when Metrowerks does something that breaks in the next release of Mac OS X...
2003.07.27 08:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nevada
Unregistered

Does that mean I can't compile to OS 9 with PB? I know there's Carbon but you saw my previous post. Would I still be able to easily port to Windows if I did use Carbon or does that just contradict the whole thing about using C++ and OpenGL? Or could I just use MPW in OS 9 to compile the code.
2003.07.27 08:17 PM
athomson
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Nevada
Does that mean I can't compile to OS 9 with PB?

You cannot use ProjectBuilder to compile software which functions on anything other than Mac OS X.

If you are planning on targeting all of the systems you mentioned (MacOS, Mac OS X and Windows) I'd suggest CodeWarrior, it can compile for all of them out of the box (provided you get the "Pro" version not the "Mac OS X Development Studio" version).

Andrew.
2003.07.27 09:10 PM
Jake Offline

I don't think you need to compile for OS 9 anymore, maybe last year you did, but not this year, most everyone is in OS X
2003.07.27 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
akisha Offline

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
[...]

I wouldn't bother with CodeWarrior. Basically all it gives you is the ability to compile programs that can run on Mac OS 9, plus heaps of bugs when Metrowerks does something that breaks in the next release of Mac OS X...

You mean except for a GUI much better than PB's, faster compiles, more versatility, an awesome debugger, support for more languages...?
2003.07.27 09:47 PM
OneSadCookie Offline
Genius Bar

Well

* I personally prefer PB's GUI (since CW 6 or so, before then it was good...)

* can't argue with faster compiles, but it's not that bad if you don't use C++ (ie ObjC or C) — and I don't

* "more versatility" don't believe, need examples

* "awesome debugger" it's the same debugger (gdb), and I never use the debugger for more than a backtrace

* "support for more languages" PB does Java, C, ObjC, C++ and ObjC++ out of the box — what does CW add?

If you can justify spending $500 for those tiny benefits, that's fine. Personally, I'm very happy with the free tools Smile
2003.07.27 10:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mark Levin
Unregistered

Codewarrior can target Windows, can't it?
2003.07.27 10:18 PM
Jake Offline

Quote:Originally posted by Mark Levin

I think it used to be able to, but I think you need a windows machine to compile windows now (I'm not sure... about that)
2003.07.27 10:21 PM
akisha Offline

Quote:Originally posted by Mark Levin

Indeed it can -- I'm pretty sure it can compile Windows code running on the mac.

CodeWarrior can compile assembler. With some patches, it can also compile Pascal.

The CodeWarrior debugger interface is IMHO much more intuitive than PB's. I'm not sure about the internal's though. I use the MetroNub debugger all the time. It's very handy when looking at a variables value in multiple types, or just looking at raw memory.

Versatility...
File mappings are great. You can use the CW compiler, but edit text in PB, BBEdit, etc. Even better, you can edit text, manage projects, etc. in CW, but compile in an external compiler.

Just take a look at the settings dialog in CodeWarriror. So many options :love:

Oh, and I got the academic version of CW 8 for free!
2003.07.27 10:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)