Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What API does Applescript draw upon?
kowboy_koder Offline

Hey guys.

First I just wanted to say a big thanks for everyone on the forum thats responded to my posts so far. Smile

Onto my actual topic for this post though, I wanted to ask what API does AppleScript draw upon? While it can be interpreted if you run the script through the editor window, I noticed that AppleScript can actually be compiled into a .app just like something you develop in a fully fledged programming language. That means though that chances are, most of those AppleScript commands probably get translated into CoreFoundation / Carbon / Cocoa API calls during the compilation process.

Am I right? Which API set gets linked then?

Thanks again guys =]
2010.10.27 08:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
backslash Offline

Actually, if you create an Applescript and save it as an application, you will see that it the resulting bundle contains an executable called "Applet", which runs the script, saved in raw form at executable/Contents/Resources/Scripts/main.scpt.

If you read up on adding Applescript support to a Cocoa application, you will see that the commands represented by callback methods in an application's various classes. Search for NSApplecscript if you are interested.
2010.10.28 09:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)