Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where should I start?
OneSadCookie Offline
Genius Bar

Where should I start?
Well, it's an object-oriented imperative language with a C base. That means that it's easy to learn and understand.

In terms of the power, that's something you'll find as you go along. Obviously, any small, contrived example is not going to convince you of the power!

You say "something more than loading a nib and..." but you can do vast amounts of your Cocoa programming without ever leaving Interface Builder or even writing a line of custom code... if that's not power, I don't know what counts.

If you're looking for "something that's easy with ObjC/Cocoa that'd be difficult in <Insert Language Here/Insert API Here>", my vote off the top of my head is for some distributed objects stuff. It's insanely easy to set up, and not something you can even consider in a static language like C++.
2007.04.30 05:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ingemar Offline

Where should I start?
OneSadCookie Wrote:You say "something more than loading a nib and..." but you can do vast amounts of your Cocoa programming without ever leaving Interface Builder or even writing a line of custom code... if that's not power, I don't know what counts.
That does not count, since it is not a Cocoa feature, but a feature of Interface builder/nibs. I expect the same nib to do the same things in a Carbon app.
2007.05.01 01:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OneSadCookie Offline
Genius Bar

Where should I start?
Ingemar Wrote:That does not count, since it is not a Cocoa feature, but a feature of Interface builder/nibs. I expect the same nib to do the same things in a Carbon app.

It doesn't even come close (and can't, for the same reasons as distributed objects can only work in ObjC, not C or C++).
2007.05.01 04:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iRock Offline

Where should I start?
Hi everyone, I just registered. Looks like a great place to start learning.

Obviously I want to learn as much as possible while contributing as much as I can and when possible for me to do so.

So keeping this in mind, perhaps some of you can direct me on where to start. I'll just fill you in on a bit of my background in Software.

I have studied Multimedia and Web design @ college but I decided to leave that and got a job working mainly in Shockwave (Macromedia's Director).

After this I move on to a company that develops & supports ECM solutions mainly on an Oracle backend, I guess I am just lucky that I am involved in almost all projects for learning purposes. Some people may see it as been thrown in at the deep end but I see it as an opportunity.

What do I know?

Well to put it in one quote: "Jack of all trades & master of none!"

I have dabbled in everything:
Lingo (Director)
Actionscript (Flash)
HTML
CSS
PHP (not much success with it)
Oracle (well, I for work I have to know this so I am learning more everyday by seeing it in action)
SQL (Obviously PL SQL with Oracle - again I'm not very confident with it yet but I am seeing it in action everyday on the servers of some massive multi-national companies)

There are other that are not worth listing!

The advice that I need is, where should I start without getting ahead of myself, getting swamped down & giving up.

There are two things that I am very interested in at the moment:
xcode (which I haven't downloaded yet)
MAMP (Mac, Apache, MySql, PHP)

All help appreciated guys!
2007.07.05 07:49 PM
nich Offline

Where should I start?
hey everyone, didn't want to start a new thread about a similar query so hijacking this one :ninja: or just borrowing :sneaky:

question the first
are all the cocoa frameworks in the xcode docs? if not where do i find a good online reference?

secondth
can i compile pre system 8, 68k software on my g4 without emulating the system?
if i had to emulate, is MPW what i should be using?

cheers
2007.11.08 12:09 PM
Derek Kuhl Offline
Super Moderator

Where should I start?
iRock Wrote:There are two things that I am very interested in at the moment:
xcode (which I haven't downloaded yet)
MAMP (Mac, Apache, MySql, PHP)

All help appreciated guys!

Ignore XCode if you're going to do web development. It's only meant for what Apple designs it for, which isn't really web development outside of the neglected WebObjects. You'd be better off with something like SubEthaEdit, Textmate or Coda.
2007.11.08 09:31 PM
iRock Offline

Where should I start?
Derek Kuhl Wrote:Ignore XCode if you're going to do web development. It's only meant for what Apple designs it for, which isn't really web development outside of the neglected WebObjects. You'd be better off with something like SubEthaEdit, Textmate or Coda.

Thanks, but apart from the tools where would you say start?
Continuing in PHP / mySQL the right direction?
2007.11.09 06:12 AM
spirou Offline

Where should I start?
nich Wrote:question the first
are all the cocoa frameworks in the xcode docs? if not where do i find a good online reference?

All public frameworks are documented in the Core Reference Library which is part of XCode.

nich Wrote:secondth
can i compile pre system 8, 68k software on my g4 without emulating the system?
if i had to emulate, is MPW what i should be using?

cheers

No, I don't think that this is possible out of the box. The compiler (GCC) coming with xcode only generates code for PPC and Intel, not for 68k. Also i can't remember that I have seen any old style headers or libraries beside the classic runtime environment.
BtW, why do you wanna do that?

Spirou
2008.01.21 11:52 AM
danux Offline

Where should I start?
Well if you want web programming you should start with PHP, there is a lot of forums, tutorials, scripts and is really easy and no so stricit as java.

If you want to develop Apps like StandAlone Apps.. well the mother of all is C++, but You would like to start with something really more simple than C / C++ /Obj-C ... Ruby or Python are really good options, Ruby and Python with Xcode for Apps in Mac and with Fox FXRuby ,, or Python-QT (trolltech) for Develop on Windows.

Luck
2008.10.30 09:18 AM
paper Offline

Where should I start?
DarylF2 Wrote:I recommend using Xcode to program in Objective-C using Cocoa. If you have experience programming in C, Objective-C is easy to pick up, and Cocoa is AMAZINGLY powerful and easy to understand (especially if you have object-oriented programming experience). Aaron Hillegass's book "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" is terrific, and I also like O'Reilly's "Learning Cocoa with Objective-C" (second edition).

If you don't know C, it would be best to start slower. See if a local community college offers any introductory C programming courses, or perhaps search the web for online equivalents. I'm sure there are some great introductory C programming books, but I don't know any to recommend except perhaps for Stephen G. Kochan's "Programming in C", which I used in college (my copy is the "revised edition" from 1988, but there is probably a newer version available).

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I registered because I want to learn XCode, and I'm interested in taking small baby steps towards an invoice program for small businesses. I have some experience with PHP / SQL, but I'm green when it comes to C, so I want to buy a book to learn things properly. I was looking to buy Aarons book, but it seems the 2nd edition is for XCode 1 and 3rd edition for XCode 3. Which of the books would you recommend for XCode 2?

Thanks for answering

Edit: I did some searching on the net, and it seems to me 2nd edition is the way to go for XCode 2. I signed up for the 10 day trial at OReillys bookshelf, mentioned in this thread, intending to look at both books. When my 10 free days are over I'll decide if I'll read the whole book online or buy it from Amazon.

Edit 2: Since I don't know anything about Objective C, I'm starting off reading /Developer/Documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/ObjC.pdf (the 1.0 version), as was recommended in the first pages of the book. That will probably take a few days, so I should probably have waited to sign up for the 10 day trial. This might be useful info for others starting out like me.
2009.01.03 11:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)